You can also check out my wedding blog, Tara Getting Married. It has lots of DIY wedding information!

Friday, January 28, 2011

I hate Sysco Denver

At the beginning of the year, Philip was switched to a 5:30pm to 2am schedule at work.  Well, my boss suggested that I switch to an 8am to 3pm schedule so that I could at least see him for a little while each day during the week.  

It has been fantastic.  I see him for about 40 minutes (if I get off work on time) Monday through Thursday.  I know it sounds like nothing, but when you're used to nothing, 40 minutes makes a ton of difference.  

Well, last night, Philip was informed that he was being switched back to a 5pm to 1:30am schedule.  That just sucks.  That means that I will see him for about 10 minutes... and possibly none if I don't get out of work at exactly 3:00 (which, let's face it -- our tenants like to have emergencies at the time I'm supposed to be leaving work).  

I am pissed.  I was so used to actually see him during the week and now I don't want to give it up.  I hate this.  I cried and cried last night.  It's just not fair.  Everything was going great.  I don't want to give up seeing Philip.  

My boss says that Philip should try to find another job.  There's a problem with that.  Where is Philip going to find a job that is going to pay as well with as good of benefits that has a day-shift schedule instead of nights?  It's not going to happen.

The same goes for me.  I love my job.  I get paid well and have good benefits.  I also actually have a fantastic boss.  I am not going to find a job working nights that will have all of those benefits.  I tried.  

I am probably going to have to shift my sleep schedule.  I finally got on a normal sleep schedule, but this sleep schedule isn't going to allow me to see Philip.  I'm going to have to sleep when I get home from work and then get up when Philip gets home from work if I want to see him.  

I keep trying to tell myself that there is a light at the end of the tunnel... it's just really far off. Philip and I plan to continue to save and build our credit.  Then, in the next 4 to 5 years, we will buy a house and start a family.  And then I will be a stay at home mom.  Then I'll actually see my husband during the week.  And it will be glorious.  

I hate that it's so far off, but Philip is definitely worth it.  :)

6 comments:

Mike St James said...

Having good jobs puts you both in a shrinking group of Americans not living in poverty. Sysco is a great company. It's hard to accept that your little cog on the wheel wouldn't be missed that much if it broke off, but it's a fact of life you should get used to. In older generations, we were inculcated with this knowledge from babyhood; today's celebrity-obsessed generations have been pumped up with SO much self-esteem that they are often insufferable. My advice is to channel your energies into making the best of your conflicting schedules, and be grateful every day that you have steady and reliable paychecks. Best wishes for your future together.

admin said...

I can understand where you are coming from Tara; it IS difficult to adjust, and not much I would say would make it seem like a positive thing!

Many times Mike had to work out of state for months on end (if Philip remembers, back in 1997 & 1998, Mike was living with them working in NC, while I was down in FL)

Even now, he's up in Phoenix during the week, only comes back home on Friday nights thru Sun. nights. I told him last night, "It was nice to finally cook dinner for you again"!

Four - five years truly isn't far off; time flies it seems like it was just yesterday everyone was little, Mike & I just got married, you name it.

Good jobs are so hard to come by, and I know you ARE thankful that both you and Philip have good jobs - because they will be the basis for your future plans. As hard as everything is for you now, I know that you and he will make the best of it, like it or not, because you have an ultimately AWESOME goal to work toward!

Lyn said...

@Mike -- I realize that since I do not know you, there is no way that you know me. If you spent the time to read my blog, you would realize that I am not "celebrity obsessed." I care nothing about Lindsay Lohan's current rehab stint or the Kardashian's boyfriends. You'd also realize that I have dedicated many blog posts to how thankful I am for both my job and Philip's job.

I realize that our "cog" doesn't really make that much difference to you, but on my personal blog, I felt that I could express how I was feeling. I apologize if me spending time with my husband is insufferable to you. In the future, I would suggest that you don't read blogs of people with such high self-esteem if they are so disgusting to you.

Lyn said...

@Kim - I don't want the years to fly by. I want to actually see my husband in the first few years of our marriage before we have children. I would posit that the time flew even faster for you from when the kids were little and when you and Mike got married because you weren't with them a lot of the time. I know that the years are going to go fast anyway. I don't want to miss out on so much of it.

And, as you know, I'm not the type of woman to sit back if something is not how I want it to be. I make the changes that need to be made. So, if neither Philip or I can find jobs that are comparable to the ones we have, I will just have to adjust my sleep schedule. I refuse to give up on seeing my husband for 4 or 5 years. Because you are right: we do have an incredible goal to work towards. I just don't want to forget who I'm working towards it with.

admin said...

I'm sorry Tara. I was trying to think of something to say to help you feel a little bit better, and instead made it worse.

Lyn said...

Nah, I was just venting. I was just irritated about everything. I've come to terms with our new situation now. :)