You can also check out my wedding blog, Tara Getting Married. It has lots of DIY wedding information!

Thursday, December 11, 2008

The "War" on Christmas

This is absolutely ridiculous. People who believe in this crap just piss me off.

I celebrate Christmas. I don't get upset when people tell me "Merry Christmas," "Happy Holidays," or "Season's Greetings." To me, it makes no difference. I celebrate Christmas, so I don't get upset when people tell me "Merry Christmas." It's a seasonal holiday so I don't get upset when people tell me the other two either.

What really pisses me off is when people who celebrate Christmas get upset by other people telling them "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings."

Christians are not the only people in the world. There are lots of other holidays in December, so why should Christians get to be the only ones recognized??? That makes no sense. So, I get pissed off at the Christian conservatives who tell me that I am attacking Christianity and Christmas by saying "Happy Holidays." They say that I am persecuting them. That is F*@#ing ridiculous. Just because I am accepting that other people may not believe as I do (and I don't even believe as most Christians do... I just celebrate the holiday as a day of thanks to what Jesus represents...), does not mean that I am being hateful of Christians. It means that I am accepting of those of us who do not celebrate Christmas.

I mean, come on. Christianity may have a hold on the U.S., but Hanukah is at least widely recognized as a December holiday. So, who is actually being persecuted here?? The Christians?? I think not. I think that the fact that the conservative Christians are making such a big deal out of this proves that they are persecuting everyone who is not Christian. If everyone were completely ignorant of other holidays taking place during December (or if there were no other holidays), it would make sense that people would be offended by "Happy Holidays," because there would only be ONE holiday in the month. However, there are lots of holidays and people have to at least know about one or two of them. So, it's inexcusable. And it pisses me off.

It makes me want to say "Happy Holidays" every time. I usually wait for someone to greet me. And if they use "Merry Christmas" then I usually say "Merry Christmas." After all, if they just assumed that I celebrate Christmas, then I don't feel bad assuming the same about them. If people raise a stink over it though, I want to stomp on their faces while screaming "Happy Holidays." Or maybe singing the Hanukah song. That would be nice. :)

Anyway, for those of you who still aren't convinced that Christmas isn't the only holiday this month, I've put together a list. Here it is:

Advent: four weeks prior to Christmas.
Eid ul-Adha: Starting on the 10th of Dhul Hijja (December 8, 2008)
Hanukkah: Starting on 25 Kislev (December 22, 2008)
Hogmanay: (Night of December 31 - Before dawn of January 1)
So, there, all of you damn conservative Christians! You don't have a monopoly on the holidays. So hold your tongues. Or I'll give you a slap in the face with words. lol :)

No comments: