You can also check out my wedding blog, Tara Getting Married. It has lots of DIY wedding information!

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Halloween / Costumes

I know. It's still WAY early, but I'm working on my costume. I normally start preparing for Halloween very last minute and can't get a decent costume together in time. So, this year, I am starting really early so that my costume can actually be what I really want it to be. :)

So, what am I going as? Well, Philip and I decided to go as a pair. I came up with a few dozen ideas to start with and asked him to narrow it down. That went absolutely nowhere. So, I narrowed it down to four costume ideas that I actually liked. They were: Leia and Han Solo; a mermaid and a fisherman ("Catch of the Day"); Mario (Me) and Peach (Philip); and Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf.

Philip was taking too long to decide so I told him that Little Red Riding Hood was my favorite and asked if he would be completely opposed to the idea. He wasn't; he was fine with it. So, that's what we're going to be. :)

So, I began shopping for my costume. I don't want to buy one already put together for many reasons. I don't like that they're cheaply made. I also don't like that they're completely slutty. I don't want my butt hanging out of my costume. I don't think that you have to be half naked in order for a costume to be sexy.

So, I made a goal for myself this year. I want to make a costume that looks sexy and elegant without looking completely slutty. I also want it to look original. I decided to go with a more dark/gothic look for my interpretation of Little Red Riding Hood.

I'm starting with a black underbust corset over a ruffly-ish white long sleeve shirt. Then I will have a full length blood-red hooded cape. My skirt will be checked black/red/white fabric over a roughly knee-length black petticoat. And finally, I will be wearing black fishnet stockings under mid-calf black high heeled boots (gothic).

I'm not sure if it will look the same in your eye as it does in mine, so here are some pictures of what I'm thinking about:




















































No comments: