You can also check out my wedding blog, Tara Getting Married. It has lots of DIY wedding information!

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Lost: Jin & Sun

Last year, my roommate, Brandon, got me to start watching Lost. I got through it pretty quickly. At the beginning of this season, I watched the episodes every Tuesday night at 9:00. However, as I quickly realized, it is a lot different to go from watching every episode in quick succession to watching one episode every week. Especially when that show is Lost. It is an incredibly complex and confusing show. So, I decided to wait until the show finished and then I would watch all of the final episodes.

The show ended on Sunday. So, on Sunday, I started playing catch-up. As of right now, I only have the finale to watch. Some questions have been answered, but I'm still pretty lost. haha... how fitting. ;)

I wanted to address something that was particularly upsetting/moving to me. The story of Jin and Sun.

***SPOILER ALERT***

They started off as a couple in an unhappy marriage. Then they gradually worked things out. It was beautiful. Well, happiness isn't allowed for long on Lost, so that had to change. They were soon separated by space and then, eventually, by time; several decades even.

Sun eventually came back to the island to find Jin. She spent forever looking for Jin, and Jin looked for her as well. Finally, the find each other. Jin promises that they will never be separated again. It was magical and beautiful and wonderful. I admit, I cried. I absolutely LOVE their story. Probably because it is a story of love overcoming all.

However, again, happiness is not allowed for long. So, sure enough, the following episode, there is an explosion on the submarine and Sun is trapped. Water starts to fill the sub. Jin tries to free her, but he can't. Sun begs him to save himself, but he refuses. He promises to never leave her. He holds her hand, and they drown together.

And I bawled my eyes out. The only other scene that even came close was when Juliet fell down the hole and Sawyer tried to save her. Sun and Jin still win though. If it would not have been so incredibly moving, I would have been PISSED. I'm still not very happy about it, but at least their ending was beautiful.

No comments: