You can also check out my wedding blog, Tara Getting Married. It has lots of DIY wedding information!

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My V-day Protest

Valentine's Day is officially over.  Thank goodness.  It's a ridiculous "holiday."  People buy flowers, candy, jewelry, or expensive dinners for their significant others.  But why?

Saint Valentine's day was a Catholic holiday celebrating Christian Martyrs.  There's nothing romantic about a bunch of old dead white guys.  

A lot of people assume that I don't celebrate the day because of bad memories or for being jilted on the holiday in the past.  Not true.  I haven't been single on V-day since I was in the seventh grade.  In fact, the last time I celebrated V-day (when I was in college -- 19 years old), it was a perfectly magical night.  It was a double date.  There was a fantastic meal and gifts and I had a great time.  

It's just that when I actually stopped to think about the day, it didn't make any sense.  I love my partner every day of the year.  I don't need to give or receive meaningless gifts on some random day out of the year in order to prove my love for my partner (or for them to prove their love to me). 

And, I just felt bad for my single friends.  The day just singled them out.  It was like pouring salt in the wound of their alone-ness (if they did not want to be alone).  

I'm sure the dead white guys wouldn't care if I gave my partner chocolates to celebrate their death.  It makes no sense to me.  So, I don't celebrate it.  End of story. 

No comments: