You can also check out my wedding blog, Tara Getting Married. It has lots of DIY wedding information!

Friday, April 23, 2010

The South

I was born and raised in Plymouth, Indiana. I spent the first 19 years of my life living at the same address. Then, I moved to North Carolina. I've spent the past 6 years living in the south. I really love the south. I love the accent (which I have picked up... not a STRONG accent, but a southern accent nonetheless). I love the people (friendly and welcoming). And, I love southern gentlemen. :) (haha... despite the fact that I came to the south only to end up with a northern man, he's still a southern gentleman).

I love to have doors opened for me. I am fairly certain that the only doors I open for myself now are when I'm by myself or with another female. And, I adore that fact. It is probably one of the biggest things that I will miss about the south (it throws me off when I go to Indiana and men do not open car doors or hold doors open for me when entering buildings).

A feminist once told me that it is oppressive for men to hold doors open for women. It insinuates that women are incapable of holding the door. I am a feminist. I don't believe that for a second. I know that I am perfectly able to open a door by myself. I did it for the first 19 years of my life.

Despite my capabilities, I love having the car door opened for me. I love having the door held open for me when entering a building. It makes me feel like I'm in an old-fashioned romance movie. I feel truly special. Like a lady. I still get the warm-fuzzies about it.

I will miss the south for many reasons, but that's definitely towards the top of the list. ;) Luckily, I am taking one fine, southern gentleman with me to Denver. :)

No comments: