You can also check out my wedding blog, Tara Getting Married. It has lots of DIY wedding information!

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Running...

Long time no blog, right? Well, I actually went on "vacation" to visit my family in Indiana. I had a pretty nice time, but I slacked on running. I decided that I was fine with this because it's supposed to be vacation. However, I did feel a little bad and I didn't want to ruin everything I had worked for, so I did about 2 miles on the elliptical for each day that I was supposed to run (I'm supposed to run every night, Sunday through Thursday).

Also, I didn't get to blog before I left about Monday and Tuesday's runs (March 30th and 31st). I finally found the keycard for the fitness facility at the apartment complex. So, Monday night, I went to the facility to use the treadmill. And, it was HOT. I'm used to running outside at night where it's cool and there is a breeze, so indoors with no air circulation was quite difficult. But, I did very well.

I like the treadmills because I can time myself more easily and know exactly how far I ran and how many miles per hour I'm running. I did 1.91 miles without stopping on Monday. And then on Tuesday, I did 2.15 miles. And that, my readers, was over my goal for the week (my goal was 7 laps... that translates to about 2.1 miles)!

Then, I left on Wednesday. I did the 12 hour drive and didn't get to do anything Wednesday or Thursday night, but I made up for it on my normal night off (Friday night). I did 5 miles on the elliptical. Then, I did about 2 miles on the elliptical for Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nights. I drove back Thursday... and, I didn't honestly do a workout. But, I did get a little bit of a workout on Saturday afternoon by playing d-ball with some old college friends (it's a game we made up... a cross between dodgeball and baseball).

Unfortunately, I forgot my running shoes (I normally only wear flip-flops unless I'm going to be working out). So, I had to run in my bare feet. I've had to do it before, but I pay for it. It kills my back and hips. I think it's because there is no support and it's just jarring my body. So, needless to say, I was very sore today. And, I REALLY did not want to run tonight. Especially since it's been over a week since I actually ran.

But, I did. I was so sore that I only ran for one mile and then did two miles on the bike. And, whoa, I felt the burn in my buns! But, the bike seemed to be easier on my back and hips. It's not as jarring. And, tomorrow, I hope to be able to run at least 2 miles. My goal for this week is basically just to build myself back up to where I was, and hopefully excel a little beyond that. So, I'm going to push myself for 2.5 miles.

Eventually, I would like to work up to 3 miles per day. And then, I'll start working on my speed (if I haven't mentioned it already, I am incredibly slow). And after that, I will run a 5K and cross one of my life goals off of my list! :D Wish me luck!

No comments: