You can also check out my wedding blog, Tara Getting Married. It has lots of DIY wedding information!

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Too much?

Well, I think I may have pushed a bit too hard. I went for my run tonight even though I've been sore all day today. Typically, the running helps my muscles. It seems to loosen them up and ease the pain a bit. However, tonight when I was running, my left leg was in some worse than normal pain and it was difficult to run on it. I thought that I could just run through it. I occasionally get an ache in my leg and I just keep running until it goes away. No pain, no gain, right?

Well, this pain didn't go away. It just got worse. Every time I stepped onto my left foot, pain shot down my left leg (the lower part... not my calves exactly because it was the front part). I'm sure I looked ridiculous on the treadmill because I was half-limping while running. It's probably also not very safe to do on a treadmill... ;)

I couldn't make it past 1.1 miles on the treadmill. It just hurt. So, I got on the bike again. It still hurt, but I adjusted myself so that my right leg was doing more of the work and not jarring my foot against the pedal. That seemed to be okay. It hurt, but not like it did on the treadmill. I did 2.9 miles on the bike.

When I got back to the apartment, I did a search to figure out why my leg was killing me. I think that I may have shin splints. If that is the case, I probably should not have pushed myself too much... oops! The websites that I've seen say that I've probably just pushed myself too much in the previous weeks and that my calf muscles are pulling too much.

So, I'm going to ice down my leg take a break for tomorrow. Then, I'll get back to it on Wednesday without pushing myself too hard (and run on Friday as well for this week to make up for missing a day).

I feel kind of like a slacker knowing that I won't be running tomorrow, but I also don't want to hurt myself (any more than I already have!). So, I think I'm going to have to accept that I am not going to be able to reach my goal for this week. But, I will slowly work up to it. :) Wish me luck!

No comments: