You can also check out my wedding blog, Tara Getting Married. It has lots of DIY wedding information!

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Next Step

There will be a lot of changes for Philip and I in the new year.  Philip calls it the next step for our family.  I like the sound of that.  It sounds really nice.  In reality, it's actually pretty terrifying to me.  

In the spring of 2012, Philip and I will be quitting our jobs and moving to Indiana.  This is because Philip wants to go back to school to be a pilot.  I support his decision 100%.  The easiest way for us to be able to make this happen is for us to move to Indiana and stay with my parents for a while.  

It's not what I thought I'd be doing at 26 years old, but it's what's best for us.  Hopefully financing will come through and Philip will be able to finish pilot school quickly.  Even after he's finished, it will likely take a few years for him to really get his foot in the door.  So, we will be making far less money than we are now.  Philip's solution?  He's encouraged me to go back to school.  

It's no secret that my college degree has gotten me absolutely nowhere.  I make the same amount of money that I would had I not gotten a degree.  There's not really any potential for me to make any more money unless I get a different degree.  

I understand that.  It's just terrifying to think about going back to school at this point.  I just thought I was done, you know?  Classes and papers and tests seem really scary after spending the past few years in office jobs.  

So what am I considering?  Nursing school.  I know it's supposed to be really hard, but that's not the scary part to me.  I'm good at sciences and have an excellent memory.  I'm even really good with people, so that part doesn't bother me.  Most people who know me would assume that it would be the needles that would keep me from nursing.  However, needles are mostly just bothersome to me, not other people.  I just don't want needles entering my body (which I have been working on in recent years -- I even had to have blood taken and didn't hyperventilate or have a panic attack just a few months ago) -- other people's bodies don't bother me so much!  Ha!  

I honestly think I would like nursing if I got into the right field.  The part that scares me is, what if I don't?  What if I spend thousands more dollars getting another degree that I don't like or won't use?  

Hopefully some of my credits will transfer so I can get a jump on it and not have to be in school for as long.  Ugh.  It's just scary.  

But, you all know me: always up for a challenge.  

The school thing isn't the only scary part about our "next step."  We are packing up and moving across the country again.  It's been less than 2 years since our last cross-country move.  And, I love Colorado.  It's so beautiful.  I love seeing the mountains every day on my drive into work.  And I love the weather.  I will certainly miss the lack of humidity come summertime.  It's just so nice.    

And I'll miss my job.  Philip has it a lot easier in that area.  He hates his job.  It's no big deal for him to put in his 2 weeks notice and say adios.  I actually like my job.  And, I don't want to leave them high and dry.  So, I will have to put in my notice soon so that I can find a replacement and train the person before we move.  And that all sounds depressing.  

This move will be more stressful because neither of us has a job lined up for when we arrive (last time Philip had a job to start when we got to Colorado).  And, now we both have car payments.  So we will both need to find jobs very quickly upon arriving in Indiana!

It's going to be interesting and terrifying all at the same time!  I like thinking about the positives.  We'll be with my family who I miss so much (and Philip does, too).  We'll be making steps towards our goal of starting a family.  Philip will be doing something that he wants to do rather than a job that he hates.  I'll get to learn new things.  We'll eventually be making a great living!  

It's all going to be wonderful in the end.  I'm just nervous about taking this giant leap!  Wish us luck!

No comments: