You can also check out my wedding blog, Tara Getting Married. It has lots of DIY wedding information!

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The End of an Era...

(Source)
Today is an incredibly sad day for Colts fans everywhere.  Today, Jim Irsay released Peyton Manning, one of the greatest quarterbacks in all football history.  He was our team (as evidenced by the fact that we went 2-14 this year without him).  I've been in denial for months about the fact that they'd most likely dump him.  And it's not pretty. 

I know it may seem ridiculous to some, but I cried.  Peyton Manning was an awesome player and a fantastic person.  He did so much for the team.  He brought us up from nothing and was absolutely devoted to us.  

For Irsay to say, "There will be no other Peyton Manning," but still to release him when Manning has made it clear that he was willing to work with the Colts to make it work really stings.  We know there will be no one better, but let's get rid of him anyway?  

I am a Colts fan, and I always will be.  However, I've never been more pissed off at the organization.  To just throw away the man who has made us who we are really does hurt.  I mean, our stadium is called "Peyton's Place" for goodness sake!

And through all of this, Manning has stayed classy:  "Thank you very much from the bottom of my heart. I have truly enjoyed being your quarterback."  And even: "I'll always be a Colt."  Damn straight you will be, Manning.  Even if the Colts organization wasn't good enough for you.  

And on top of all this, whoever we draft (most likely Andrew Luck), has to come into all this drama.  And the rest of our team is still in shambles (Manning is what held us together after all!).  He's got some enormous shoes to fill.  I will support him through all of this.  After all, he didn't choose for this to happen.  However, I highly doubt that he will ever be anywhere close to Peyton Manning.  I wish him the best of luck.  

In the meantime, it will kill me to see Manning wearing anything other than the horseshoe.  I wish he would just retire.  However, I know that it's not fair to him if he still does have good years left in him.  Despite my allegiance to the Colts, if Manning continues to play, I hope he continues to be a stellar athlete.  He deserves to show the Jim Irsay exactly what he let go of.  No matter what team he plays for (unless it were the Patriots, then just f*ck him!), I will continue to be a fan of Manning.  

However, I am REALLY not looking forward to this football season.  

No comments: