You can also check out my wedding blog, Tara Getting Married. It has lots of DIY wedding information!

Monday, January 5, 2009

News in my life

After spending the last several days laying around and forcing myself to drink inordinate amounts of juice and water, I am starting to feel better. :) I still have a bit of a cough, but I can breathe and I feel human again.

New years was nice. We spent it with Philip and Richard. ha... that makes it sound like they're some gay couple that we know. I'm sure they would appreciate that. :) Anyway, we didn't even drink. We played some games and goofed off. We got some pizza at the Italian restaurant near Philip's apartment. Joe and I crashed there. We spent all day there too, until Philip had to go to work at about 6:00. It was very relaxed. :)

Next, sad news. I don't remember if I blogged about this or not, but my ex-boyfriend got married last month. Mid-December. He got his teenage girlfriend pregnant and his mom pressured them into getting married. Anyway, she was 4 months along (into her second trimester). They told my parents that they could be grandma and grandpa, too, since they've been there for them too. Which, I am fine with. My mom crocheted 3 baby blankets. The first one was unisex but my dad thought it was ugly (I thought it was very pretty though!), so she started making a boy blanket and a girl blanket for whichever sex they had (which I think is unneccesary - a girl can have blue and a boy can have pink... grrrr.). Anyway, they bought toys and were excited about it despite being disappointed that Michael was marrying this girl. Even more excited than Michael's parents. Michael's mom wasn't excited at all. She was dreading it. She says she's not finished with Michael, so she shouldn't be having grandkids. I told her that she'll never be finished raising Michael, so she might as well start moving on now! :)

That actually wasn't the sad news. Here it is: Thursday Ashley started having pains. Tawnya (Michael's mom... who happens to be a nurse) told her that it was probably gas an to ignore it. Well, Friday, she started spot bleeding as well. Tawnya again told her to ignore it. Later that night, Michael ignored his mom and took Ashley to the emergency room. They did an ultrasound. The baby is tiny but fully formed. They could see it's arms and legs, but it had no heartbeat. For some reason, the baby died inside of her. They don't know what happened. Ashley and Michael were heartbroken, but Tawnya continued to be cold about it. They told Ashley that she could wait 2 weeks to see if the baby will abort on its own (it's better that way because there is less chance of infection), or they could do a D & C to remove the fetus. She went in last night with more pains. So, they will be doing the D & C today.

I can't imagine knowing that my baby is dead inside of me. And then to have to deal with them basically scraping the baby out is just awful. A D & C is what they do in the case of a first trimester abortion. It's disturbing to me. I don't believe in abortion, so the fact that the baby would be removed in the same way just seems degrading. This baby was unexpected, but wanted by its parents.

My mom was heartbroken. I sat on the phone with her and cried for a while. I feel for Michael and Ashley. This would be hard on any marriage, but especially hard on one that was entirely based on the child who no longer exists. I hope that this will bring them closer together and not further apart.

No comments: