You can also check out my wedding blog, Tara Getting Married. It has lots of DIY wedding information!

Monday, October 4, 2010

Tara's Rules for Beggars...

So, I was talking to my boss the other day and mentioned that I try not to keep much cash on me at all times because I will give it to beggars. He told me that it was a bad idea... he once saw a 20/20 episode about how beggars make some CRAZY amount of money per hour or whatnot.

I don't care what 20/20 has to say. I know that I would have to be in some serious, end of the world times in order for me to stand on a street corner and beg for money. I try to keep that in mind when I see people begging on the street.

However, I do have a few rules for beggars. When I do happen to have cash on me, I will not give it to just anyone... there are lots of beggars in Denver. I have to be choosey or I'll go broke!

So, without further ado, here are Tara's rules for beggars:

  1. If you stand on the same street corner every day with the same sign, I will not give you money. You need to at least be creative. I feel like you're not even trying if I see you EVERY day in the same place.
  2. If you are well dressed, I will not give you money. If you're wearing nice clothes, you've still got something to sell to make money. You don't NEED to be out on that street corner begging. You've still got something.
  3. If your sign is bland and uncreative, I will not give you money. "Anything helps" may very well be true, but it doesn't tell me much about your situation. Honesty is also helpful. I saw a man with a sign that said, "Need money for beer." If I would have had cash, I would have given him some. I mean, come on. If I'm homeless, I sure as hell am going to want a beer to drown my sorrows in. Honesty is the best policy. If you've got 7 kids and a pregnant wife, put that on your sign. I'm more likely to feel bad for a family than a bachelor.
  4. If you have a disability of some sort, you automatically go to the top of the pile. Yeah, I know. You can't really make yourself disabled... but, if I see that you're an amputee or you're in a wheelchair, I'm going to feel bad for you and want to help. It's the mother in me. I want to make things all better.
  5. If you are a veteran, I am more likely to give to you. Yeah, I know. It can be faked... whatever. I'm just saying that if you appear to be a veteran (your sign tells me so!), I will be more likely to fork over the dough.
  6. If you are arrogant or an asshole, I will not give you money. If you act like you DESERVE a handout/handup, I'm not giving you jack squat. If you appear embarrassed and uncomfortable, I am more likely to give you money. If you appear especially thankful, I will probably add a little bit to that. I hate when people act like I have an obligation to give them money... instead of the idea that they should be grateful for the help that I am giving them. I understand that everyone has bad times; everyone needs help sometimes. However, that does not mean that you get to be a jerk about it.
I think that's about it for now. So, if you're a beggar, follow these rules. And, I will give you some cash if I've got it. :) And, I wish all of you the best of luck so that none of you ever have to think of these rules. And, please remember how you would feel if your life took terrible turns and you ended up having to beg for money to buy food. Love your neighbor. :)

No comments: