You can also check out my wedding blog, Tara Getting Married. It has lots of DIY wedding information!

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

So we meet again... Treadmill.

I hate to run. However, I know it's good for me. It's the exercise that makes me feel the best. And, even though I hate every second of it while I'm doing it, it doesn't really take up that much time to get a good workout.

Earlier this year, I was doing a fantastic job of running. I pushed myself really hard. Well, I pushed too hard. I got shin splints. When I look back on it, I know I was crazy. I went from not running at all to running 5 days a week. I built up to about 3 miles a night very quickly. My legs just couldn't handle it. I had to take a break from running.

Then we had the packing, traveling, and moving. Once we got settled in Colorado, it was the middle of summer and REALLY hot and dry. Besides that, I hate running in public. Especially when I'm out of shape.

Well, Philip got me a treadmill as an early Christmas present. Tonight was my first night back. I had planned to just walk a mile or so as a starting point... really just ease into it this time. Well, that didn't happen. As soon as I got on the treadmill, I didn't want to take it easy. I wanted to see how bad of shape I was in.

So, I ran for 10 minutes straight. I probably could have done more, but I remembered that I was supposed to be taking in easy. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a piece of cake. At about the 7 minute mark, I started to get winded... but, I pushed through and I got my second wind and continued on to the 10 minute mark. And then I walked for a few minutes to cool down.

Now I'm not really sure where to go from here. I don't want to push myself too hard, but I also don't want to lose interest because I'm not working hard enough. It's difficult to figure out how hard to push. I think I'm going to take a break tomorrow and then run again on Thursday. So, twice this week. Then maybe Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday the week after. Then I'll figure out where to go from there.

Hopefully this time will have better results than last time... meaning, no shin splints! Wish me luck! :)

1 comment:

JJ said...

Oh, you inspired me, I'm going to the hotel gym now...