You can also check out my wedding blog, Tara Getting Married. It has lots of DIY wedding information!

Monday, January 16, 2012

Dream House: The Breakfast Nook

I never used to think much of breakfast nooks.  I used to think, why do we need two dining areas?  But as I get older (and begin to think about future little ones), I begin to see the positives.  It's really nice to have a formal area for nicer dinners or holidays, but when Philip and I are eating some macaroni and cheese in the few minutes before he has to leave for work, it's nice to have a comfortable place to eat quickly and clean up.  

I also know that when kids come along, they'll be hard on a formal dining area.  I've seen that from having neighbor kids over for dinner!  

So, I really want to have a breakfast nook in the kitchen for more casual meals.  But, not just any nook.  I want a booth.  I love booths.  Philip and I always choose booths over tables at restaurants.  Besides, how cute are these:  


The cabinets above the seats look really nice.  I love the light fixture and the window. 


I love the window!  So much light.  :)  However, I'm not really feeling the colors... or the table.

Source: houzz.com via Tara on Pinterest

I love the neutral colors of this one, but I don't like that the tv is the focal point instead of a big, beautiful window.  


I'm loving the window in this one (duh!).  I love that it's built in and I think the booth seats are cute. 

  
Not to sound redundant, but I love the window on this one, too.  I think the seats and the table are beautiful, but I want the booth to be a bit bigger.  

  
Oh, the windows!  Gorgeous!  I love the built in booth seats and the pedestal table.  

  
While the colors aren't for me (even though they are very pretty), I do love just about everything else about this booth.  Of course, I love the windows.  I also just love the simplicity of it.  And, I love that it's big and open.  It just looks comfy.  Who wouldn't want to cuddle up here with a bowl of soup??  [One note: those wiry chairs have to go]

Source: bhg.com via Tara on Pinterest
   
I think this one is adorable.  It's so bright.  I do wish it had either a bigger window or more than one window.  I really love that it's built in.  It's like a nice little getaway right in the kitchen.  So pretty.

Source: houzz.com via Tara on Pinterest
  
Again, I love that it's built in.  And the windows.  And that it wraps all the way around (lots of room).  Although, I'd choose a different table... or at least a different color table.  

So, I guess it's obvious from all of those that the nook needs to be relatively big (preferably have 3 sides instead of 2), have big, beautiful windows, decorated in neutral colors, and be built in.  And it will be beautiful.  :)

And then the pantry will be right next to the nook (yet another important reason that the nook should be built in).  BUT, that's a post for another day. 

No comments: