You can also check out my wedding blog, Tara Getting Married. It has lots of DIY wedding information!

Friday, January 20, 2012

Dream House: The Dog Room

Philip and I have four dogs:

Jack
Cody
Jippy
and Daly.
At this point, they are our children.  Obviously we won't always have these four dogs.  I wish they would live forever, but they won't.  However, we will always have dogs.  I love dogs too much to be without them.  In fact, we will always have at least 2 dogs (they will always need a partner in crime!). 

Right now, they spend almost no time alone.  I work during the day and Philip works at night.  Usually the only time they're alone is when we go out on Saturdays.  When they are alone, they are in their crates in the basement.  It's usually just for a few hours, but I still don't like it.  

What if they suddenly have to tinkle?  What if they just want to walk around for a while (not likely -- we have the laziest dogs ever).  What if something happens to Philip and I -- who is going to let the dogs out (seriously, a truck pulled out in front of us a few weeks ago and my first thought in the split second I thought we were goners was, "if we die, who is going to let the dogs out and feed them?"  I know that's nuts, but we live a thousand miles away from my family.  How long would it take for them or one of our friends to find out and take care of the dogs?)? 

So, in my dream house, there will be a dog room.  This room will have tile floors and be tiled at least half-way up the wall (like a bathroom). It doesn't need to be enormous.  It just needs to be big enough to fit their crates (even if they aren't going to be locked in their crates, they still like to be in their crates... it's like their bedroom... their safe place), with a little room to roam around in.

It should also have an area to store their food and treats and leashes, etc.  And maybe even a doggie shower.  Most importantly, it needs to have a doggie door.  I don't really think it needs to have a full sized door, but they definitely need to be able to get outside.  And outside there will be a kennel/run for them to be able to do their business.  It doesn't need to be enormous; just big enough for them to walk around a bit and go potty in. 

Okay, enough chit chat.  On to the inspiration photos!


This one just has sealed and glazed cement floors and aluminum paneling.  It's not really my cup of tea, but it's the same kind of idea for my tile floors/walls -- easy clean up!


This one has the tile floors and walls, but since we have multiple dogs, I'd like it to be a little bigger... and less like a jail.  ha!  But I do think that might be a doggie door on the right side of the photo. 


Did you know that dog doors don't have to be put into doors?  This one can be put right into the wall of the house!  They can also be put into any kind of door, even sliding glass doors!

Source: amazon.com via Tara on Pinterest

This is what I think of when I say kennel/run.  It doesn't need to be enormous.  Preferably just something to fit against the wall of the house for them to go outside if they need to.  

And that's about all I've got for this room.  It's next to impossible to find dog room inspiration.  Apparently I'm more nuts than I thought.  ;) 

No comments: