You can also check out my wedding blog, Tara Getting Married. It has lots of DIY wedding information!

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Our Dream House: The Kitchen

First things first here!  Let's start with the heart of the home: the kitchen.  It's my number one priority in our dream house.  I already have a list of things that our dream house's kitchen needs to include:
  • Double ovens (it would make holiday cooking so much easier)
  • Lots of cabinet space
  • Lots of counter space
  • An enormous island
  • A big pantry
  • Stainless steel appliances
  • Cabinets must go to ceiling height
  • Lots of natural light
  • Open, not cramped
  • Tile floors

On top of all that, it's going to be decorated in cream and dark red.  When Philip and I were on our honeymoon in Italy, we picked up 2 potholders and an apron.  They are red and cream and have our names embroidered on them (our first names on the potholders and our last name on the apron).  I plan to use them as decoration in the kitchen of our dream house and that will be what our color palette is designed around.  I love the idea that the heart of our home is designed around an element we picked up on our honeymoon.  :)  

Okay, enough talk.  Let's get to the inspiration photos!


I love this kitchen.  It's gorgeous.  It's really open and not cramped.  It has lots of cabinet space.  Most of all, I LOVE that island.  It's perfect.  It's enormous and beautiful.  :)  

However, this is not my dream kitchen.  I don't want a white kitchen (white seems to be the "in" color right now for kitchens).  It really is a beautiful kitchen, but with four dogs (and hopefully eventually a few kids), it would be next to impossible to keep that darn thing clean!  Basically, I love the set-up of the kitchen but it would need to be in creams and reds instead of whites.  And replace the white cabinets with light or natural maple.  Like this:


I love the color and the glaze really sets it off!  Beautiful!  

  
This one is gorgeous, too.  I think I'm decided on having an "L" shaped kitchen.  No "U" shapes or hallway kitchens.  I want it to feel really open.  This kitchen has the double oven I want, but it needs stainless steel appliances.  It also needs tile floors instead of hardwoods.  I like the countertops but the kitchen feels too dark.  


This one is just beautiful.  It's actually an Italian kitchen (pretty fitting!).  I love the details and glazing on the cabinets.  I also love the countertops and the big, bright window.  And, of course, I love that giant island and the tile floors.  :)


These cabinets are about perfect.  They go to the ceiling and the color/glaze is just fantastic.  I like the giant island, but I'd prefer that it be more square instead of rectangular (hey, this is my dream house.  I can be as picky as I want!).  And, of course, I love the stainless steel appliances!  It just needs tile floors instead of hardwoods.  

Also important, I really want a big, beautiful vent hood.  And then I'll stash the microwave on my giant island.  :)  Like this:


That sliding spice rack in the island is pretty nifty, too!  

And one final kitchen inspiration photo... This isn't necessary but I found this photo and just thought it was awesome.  How cute would backsplash like this be:

Source: ntc-uk.co.uk via Tara on Pinterest
  
I think it fits with a kind of Italian vibe, but I'm not sure it would go with the red that I have in mind.  

I think that's all I've got for right now.  I know I said a large pantry, but that gets a post all its own!  Yep, it's that important!

    No comments: