You can also check out my wedding blog, Tara Getting Married. It has lots of DIY wedding information!

Monday, January 16, 2012

Dream House: The Laundry Room

Yeah, I know.  I probably shouldn't care about a laundry room.  However, all of the laundry rooms that I've had in recent years have been incredibly inconvenient.  So, in my dream house, the laundry room will be everything I need it to be.  

When I lived with Joe, the laundry room was in the garage.  Totally not convenient.  It was cramped and if something accidentally fell out of the dryer or the basket, it could get garage grossness on it.  Not cool.  

The apartment I shared with Philip in Charlotte was basically just a closet.  It was really cramped.  It only had room for the dryer door to swing open.  It did have a rack over the washer and dryer for the soap and such but it was so high up that I couldn't reach it without climbing on top of the washer and dryer!  Not ideal.  

The washer and dryer we have now are in the middle of the basement.  They aren't enclosed.  They have a bunch of space in front of and behind them so they're really weird.  You can't use the basement for anything really because the washer and dryer are right smack dab in the middle of it.  And there isn't any storage around it.  On top of that, our bedroom is on the second floor.  So, dirty laundry has to be taken down two flights of stairs and the clean laundry has to be brought up two flights of stairs to be folded.  It's inconvenient.

So what does my dream laundry room include?  It needs to be a room in the house.  It can't be in the garage.  It can't be a closet.  It needs to be enclosed but not cramped.  It also needs to have storage/cabinets.  Reachable ones.  I'm only 5'3"... I don't want cabinets that are 7' up on the wall!  It also needs to have a table for folding laundry.  And a sink.  Also, if the house is more than one level, there needs to be a laundry chute!  You laugh, but this is my dream!  Anywho, let's get to the inspiration photos!  


Source: houzz.com via Tara on Pinterest

This one is just beautiful.  It's got so much natural light.  It looks clean.  It doesn't have a folding table, but it does have large countertops.  It also plenty of storage space (at my level!).  However, I don't want there to be an exit to the yard from the laundry room.  Also, I'm not seeing my sink.  


Source: houzz.com via Tara on Pinterest

This one isn't as visually appealing to me, but it does have a lot of the things I want.  It has lots of cabinets and counter space as well as a sink.  I still wish it had a table for folding clothes, especially since there isn't a lot of space between the countertop and the bottoms of the cabinets.   


Source: houzz.com via Tara on Pinterest

This one is pretty.  It's bright.  It has lots of cabinet/counter space.  However, the room seems narrow and I'm not seeing a sink (or table).  


Source: houzz.com via Tara on Pinterest

This one doesn't have the table, but if I just removed the right side of cabinets, I could put a table in its place.  After all, it does already have a lot of cabinet space.  And a sink!  I also like the natural light (hey... I've been stuck in a closet, a basement, and a garage!  Some natural light would be nice!).  


  
This one is really pretty and unique.  I can't see the whole room, but it looks like there is probably more cabinet space not completely shown.  There isn't a table, but it looks like there would be room to put one in the room.  And it has a sink. 


Source: flickr.com via Tara on Pinterest
  
This one is really neat looking.  The photo was taken at night, but it does have a big window, so it would have natural light.  It has a ton of cabinets and countertops.  It even has a wrapping paper station built in.  However, it's missing a sink!


Source: houzz.com via Tara on Pinterest
  
This one has my table!  However, it's a lacking in cabinet space that I can reach.  Also, I hope I don't ever need more than one washer and dryer!  And, where's my sink??  Despite the things it lacks, it's still very pretty.   


Source: houzz.com via Tara on Pinterest
  
This one has plenty of cabinet space and a sink.  It seems dark though.  And it definitely needs a table for folding laundry!



This one is pretty perfect.  It has lots of cabinet and counter space.  It has my table.  It has a sink.  It doesn't have natural light, but it's bright anyway.  I think the only thing I would change would be to add a little bit of color.  I like the whites, but it's a little overpowering.  Maybe add some grays or aqua blues (they are still light and clean feeling -- yep, still crazy).  

There you have it.  Laundry rooms don't have to be soul-sucking!  ;)

No comments: