You can also check out my wedding blog, Tara Getting Married. It has lots of DIY wedding information!

Friday, March 4, 2011

BYU Honor Code

Most people have probably heard about Brandon Davies' suspension from the BYU basketball team.  If you haven't, you can read about it here.  Basically, he had pre-marital sex.  That is against BYU's honor code, so they suspended him.

There has been a lot of uproar about how ridiculous it is.  I disagree.  I don't have a problem with pre-marital sex (obviously, haha).  However, I think it is fantastic that the school is actually following their honor code.  

I can't tell you how infuriating it was for me to see the rules ignored simply because the rule-breaker was an athlete.  The rules should be enforced for everyone, athlete or not.  

So, while I don't necessarily agree with the rule that students cannot have pre-marital sex, I applaud BYU for actually enforcing their rules.  After all, Davies knew the rules when he decided to go to BYU.  He knew he would be forced to refrain from having sex if he wanted to go to the school.  He didn't hold up his end of the deal; BYU did.  

So, I don't see why people are so upset with BYU and not Davies.  Although, I will admit that it is a very strange situation.   

No comments: