You can also check out my wedding blog, Tara Getting Married. It has lots of DIY wedding information!

Monday, March 28, 2011

Radiation Questions

There are so many conflicting reports coming out of Japan that I don't know what to think.  Most are saying that the radiation levels are not dangerous.  However, a good many are saying that the levels are something to be concerned about.  

What are we supposed to believe?  XKCD has a chart that is floating around in internet-land lately.  It describes the amounts of radiation and what is considered dangerous.  It's actually really helpful.  If you're like me, you don't really understand what the numbers mean.  This helps put things in perspective.  

However, I'm still terrified of radiation.  This article describes how I feel about it:
Science has never found such a "safe" threshold, and never will.  
In the 1950s Dr. Alice Stewart showed a definitive link between medical x-rays administered to pregnant women and the curse of childhood leukemia among their offspring.
After a fierce 30-year debate, the medical profession agreed.   Today, administering an x-ray to a pregnant woman is universally understood to be a serious health hazard.

Those who pioneered the health physics profession---towering greats like Dr. Karl Z. Morgan and Dr. John Gofman---set a definitive, impenetrable standard.  A safe dose of radiation does not exist.  All doses, "insignificant" or otherwise, can harm the human organism.   

So, what am I supposed to believe?  There are always going to be conflicting reports.  I am of the group voting "No" to nuclear power now.  Before I was relatively neutral.  

George Monbiot also changed his mind about nuclear power.  He's now in favor of it.  He says:

You will not be surprised to hear that the events in Japan have changed my view of nuclear power. You will be surprised to hear how they have changed it. As a result of the disaster at Fukushima, I am no longer nuclear-neutral. I now support the technology.
A crappy old plant with inadequate safety features was hit by a monster earthquake and a vast tsunami. The electricity supply failed, knocking out the cooling system. The reactors began to explode and melt down. The disaster exposed a familiar legacy of poor design and corner-cutting. Yet, as far as we know, no one has yet received a lethal dose of radiation.

That was written on March 21st.  I wonder if Mr. Monbiot is starting to change his mind now that reports of groundwater contaminationseawater contamination and food contamination are surfacing.  

I am obviously not an expert on radiation or nuclear power.  I'm not sure if that makes me more or less scared.  I do know that I don't like the thought of any radiation.  So, now that the radiation (in small levels) has reached the U.S (Colorado, Oregon, Hawaii, Washington, California, Boston, the Carolinas, Nevada, and Maryland), this is officially our problem.  

Only time will tell what the consequences will be for this disaster.  Obviously the earthquake and tsunami already killed thousands.  Now we will play the waiting game to see if the after-effects will be.  It may be that the radiation is minimal and will not cause any real damage here.  However, it could also go the other direction.  Especially since we haven't seen the end (the radiation is still leaking).  I know we will all be hoping for the best... but, I think it's definitely time to stock up on gas masks, potassium iodide, clean water, and general supplies.  Oh, and don't forget weapons!  I see the zombie apocalypse on the horizon.  ;)  Kidding!  ...sort of.  


No comments: