You can also check out my wedding blog, Tara Getting Married. It has lots of DIY wedding information!

Monday, April 11, 2011

France: Ban on Wearing Veils

France's ban on wearing veils in public went into effect today (read more here or here).  I think it's disturbing.  

The French have said that the veils are a "sign of enslavement" and therefore, aren't welcome.  I would think that the government telling you if you can practice your religious beliefs is more of an example of "enslavement" than covering one's face.  

I understand that there are probably women who do not want to cover their faces.  However, I also understand that there are a lot of these women who would be mortified to have to show their faces in public.  

It's outright religious persecution.  It's absolutely unacceptable.

What if it was turned around and suddenly it was Christianity being persecuted?  What if suddenly the government decided that people couldn't wear cross/crucifix necklaces because they could be used as a weapon?  It's ridiculous, I know.  But, so is forcing women to show their faces when it goes against their religious beliefs.  

I am not a Muslim, but if I were in France right now, I'd be right there with those ladies wearing a burqa in protest.  

No comments: