You can also check out my wedding blog, Tara Getting Married. It has lots of DIY wedding information!

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Irritating Tenants

I work in property management.  The company that I work for manages several commercial properties.  I really like my job.  I like my boss.  I like my (very few) co-workers.  I like the work that I do.  And (for the most part), I like dealing with the tenants on an every-day basis.  most of our tenants are awesome: really easy-going, happy, friendly people.  

But, there will always be those few royal pains.

For instance, we have a few tenants who when confronted with their rule-breaking, will play a sort of blame-game.  Their only real excuse is, "I bet it was so-and-so who reported me."  That is no defense!  They admit that they broke the rules but then they're pissed that one of their neighbors ratted them out.  Get over it!  Don't break the rules and there isn't a problem!  Don't be pissed at your neighbor for tattling (especially if they told on you for parking in a place you know you aren't supposed to park because IT BLOCKS IN THEIR CAR AND THEY CANNOT LEAVE!).  

Next up, tenants who get upset with me for contacting them to find out when they are going to pay their past due rent.  Seriously.  Why are you mad at me?  I'm just doing my job!  It's my job to make sure you pay your rent.  If you don't pay your rent, I don't have a job.  If you don't pay your rent, you cannot just continue to work in peace while our business goes down the toilet.  That's not how it works.

Then there are the nit-pickers.  The people who will complain about every teeny-tiny little thing that is wrong with their suite (or their neighbors).  I honestly had someone come into my office and complain that their neighbor was stapling too loudly.  Seriously??  First off, I don't believe that your ears are that sensitive.  I also know that our walls are not that paper thin.  It's crazy.  

Or, another complaint: the neighbors aren't being friendly enough.  Come on people!  We aren't in first grade anymore.  Okay, so maybe your neighbor doesn't like you.  That's not really an issue for property management.  

Or, this one: the post office delivers mail too late.  How in the world am I supposed to control the United States Post Office?  I cannot determine what time the mail runs in our building.  It is completely out of my control.  I have no say in any of that.  I don't know what would make you think that I do.  

Or, "I left my keys at home.  Could you drop everything you're doing to drive all the way across town to let me into my office?"  Believe it or not, I do have other work to do besides being your personal assistant.  How about you drive the 5 minutes home to get your keys and the 5 minutes back to your office.  That sounds much better than me driving 30 minutes to your office to let you in and then driving the 30 minutes back to the office.  

Thankfully, 90% of the time, I am fortunate enough to deal with the wonderful tenants.  And the 10% of the time that I'm dealing with the royal pains, I just have to remind myself that I really do love my job.  :)

No comments: