You can also check out my wedding blog, Tara Getting Married. It has lots of DIY wedding information!

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Oh, ABDC Nights... You will be missed.

Thursday night I got my first stab of reality of something that I will truly miss about living here in Charlotte, North Carolina. There are a few traditions that I hold near and dear to my heart. Every Thursday night, my roommate Brandon and I watch ABDC (America's Best Dance Crew on MTV). We don't miss it. Ever. Even when I'm out of town, we still watch and call or text each other about what's going on.

In June, Philip and I will be moving to Denver, Colorado. That's about 1,600 miles away. And, around that time, Brandon will be leaving for the Republic of Korea (hopefully... *fingers crossed for ya, buddy*) to teach English.

That means that the ABDC tradition will probably cease to exist. And, it sounds silly, but that was really the first thing that has really made me think, "Ouch. I am really going to miss this." It's important to me. I don't have a lot of traditions. "Family" Thanksgiving with my college friends. Christmas with my family. Coloring and hiding Easter eggs with my family in Indiana. Watching Forrest Gump when I'm home sick. Going to Hacienda (my favorite restaurant in the world) when I go home to visit my family in Indiana. And, watching ABDC with Brandon on Thursday nights.

ABDC night isn't even just about the show. Don't get me wrong, I do love the show. However, it has also become a night of bonding. Bonding over who Brandon and I think should get to stay and who should go home. Bonding over the hookah and making jokes and just hanging out. It's become a night of fun and relaxation. And I know we both look forward to Thursday nights.

Since graduating, I've not seen a lot of my college friends very often. I see my friend Jon (check out his blog!) usually once every week or so (a lot of the time it's when he's joining Brandon and I to watch ABDC -- lol!). And, I live with Brandon. But, my other college buddies I don't see a whole lot. So, it that way, it's made it easier to leave Charlotte. My connections aren't as strong as they once were.

But, the connections I do have will be sorely missed. There are only a few episodes of ABDC left for this season. You can bet that I will be savoring every second of that time.

No comments: