You can also check out my wedding blog, Tara Getting Married. It has lots of DIY wedding information!

Friday, September 5, 2008

RNC Speech + My vote

So, I've been meaning to write about this for several days now, but I hadn't gotten around to it. I listened to Fred Thompson's speech (well, parts of it) at the Republican National Convention. There was something that really irritated me. He said:


There has been no time in our nation's history, since we first pledged allegiance to the American flag, when the character, judgment and leadership of our President was more important.

Terrorists, rogue nations developing nuclear weapons, an increasingly belligerent Russia. Intensifying competition from China.
Spending at home that threatens to bankrupt future generations. For decades an expanding government ... increasingly wasteful and too often incompetent.

To deal with these challenges the Democrats present a history making nominee for president. History making in that he is the most liberal, most inexperienced nominee to ever run for President.


He says this, but I'm not so sure that it had the effect that he was hoping for. Since George W. Bush has been in office for the last 8 years, I'd guess that he would be a huge part of the problem that Fred Thompson was just speaking about.

I guess that means we have no hope at all. Since the Republicans caused the problems and now the democrats are too inexperienced to fix them. lol

In other news, I have finally decided who I am going to vote for. Drum roll please...



Barack Obama.



Okay. So some people may be surprised and others not so much. John McCain used to be one of my favorite Republicans. Not anymore. Yeah, yeah. He's a great war hero. Thanks very much. I appreciate what you did for the country. Now, what are you going to do for the country now? The same as George W. Bush, you say? Hmmm... Senator McCain, I'm not sure if you noticed or not since you don't even know how much a gallon of milk costs, but GEORGE W. BUSH DID NOT HELP!

I was still willing to hear McCain out, but I am really upset over the Alaska drilling. I don't want it to happen. It's not going to help any, but it's going to destroy Alaska. For those of you who haven't been to Alaska, it's the most beautiful place that I've ever been to. It's so amazing. Wildlife is everywhere. It's so natural and almost untouched. It's such a wonderful place. And drilling will DESTROY it. And the wildlife and natural habitats. And if we drill there, it's not even going to make a dent on the prices or our consumption or the way that it affects the earth! So, I'm not pleased. Especially since Palin is from Alaska and STILL supports it when she knows what it is going to do!

And that is my third problem. Palin. McCain went too far. He's trying to "steal" women voters from Obama. It's ridiculous. There were other more qualified candidates (even after Republicans have stomped on Obama for not having experience, he picked Palin) in the running with her. But somehow, she emerged victorious. And I don't think that McCain did much background research on her either. She's got scandal after scandal. I'm pissed that McCain would think that just picking a woman would make women want to vote for him. As if her sex would be the only important thing to women. RIDICULOUS.

And I think it's going to backfire on him. Women voters will surely realize what he's doing. And he's going to lose some of his super-conservative voters as well. He's a hundred and fifty years old so it's not unlikely that he will die in office (I mean, come on, that was one of the questions about his run for presidency 8 years ago... so now he's just 8 more years closer to 6 feet under). And if he dies in office, Palin will be up to bat. And his super conservatives won't be happy about that.

McCain has a huge battle ahead of him. Obama has eloquence and youth and promise on his side (not to mention a huge following). And he picks a woman who can skin a moose as his running mate. That's his smoking gun? RIDICULOUS.

No, Mr. McCain. I refuse to vote for you because you're just like George W., you support drilling in my favorite place on earth, you give me no hope for the future, and you insult my intelligence. Feel free to try again in a few more years. :)

No comments: